Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZoomSplat Redux

ZoomSplat!

Blog Entries

Default ZoomSplat Redux

Monday morning, roughly 615am, commuting on i680 northbound on my way to work.
    Ground is wet but otherwise seems decent condition. Fog is present but not too heavy. It's still dark out but have good lighting.

I'm travelling at 70-75ish in the slow lane passing some cars doing 55 in the fast lane.

Suddenly I feel pain in my back and I can't lift my head. I realize my helmet is stuck and I'm on the ground but unsure of everything else. Undid helmet because I couldn't get up. Took off gloves to do so. Helmet was stuck in the ground (XD4 peak was jammed in the dirt with some branches on top of it. I stagger to my feet, still not sure of what's going on and make my way towards my bike which is about 100' or so away. Bike is everywhere but the main part of the body is on it's side. I manage to grab a seat on the tank. Hey, i'm on the tank, where's the front wheel? Dunno! Gauges are about 10' away. I can see my stuff spread out in yard sale fashion and the side boxes are crushed and spread about. A guy is making his way down to me from the highway, wow, i'm a long way from the highway. I get up to talk to him but he insists I sit.

Good guy, he is the only one who stopped, but he spend a lot of time keeping me occupied and he even found my laptop bag for me - the only thing I really cared about bringing with. It was pretty far away as well. He had called 911 and they were on their way. Fire dept shows up, takes them quite a while to get down to me and they help me walk to the truck. We get my gear off so they can check me out and surprisingly, I'm in good condition.

EMS showed up and they took me to the hospital. Talking about some light lacerations but how they are really surprised how good of condition I am in. Ride sucked, hurt a lot but EMS guys were awesome. North Bay Hospital staff in Fairfield, Ca are amazing and took great care of me. The only grief they gave me was when the trauma surgeon brought his orderly son-in-law to talk to me. SiL has a KLR and they make him witness as many moto injuries as possible.

Bike is in a lot of pieces, I am not.

Gear was: Arai XD4, AeroStich Roadcrafter Classic with Bohn back protector, Warm & Safe jacket, Lee Parks Deer Gauntlets outlast lined, and Dr Martens EH Handler Wellingtons.
    Bike was: 2007 R1200GSA with 98k+ miles on it, Shinko 804/805 tires in good condition

My injuries are several lacerations where the barbed wire cut through the stich, through the W&S and got to me. Also my shield seems to have caved in and cut my nose and lip. Lastly, I have a compression fracture in L1. 1st lumbar vertebrae.

Got home from the hospital at about 12pm Tuesday (next day) and felt pretty good but that was over with quickly. Pain pain pain... but I can handle it. Percocet is helping.

Pictures below... nothing too graphic

20161122_205511916_iOS.jpg20161122_205453301_iOS.jpg20161122_205442485_iOS.jpg20161122_205435593_iOS.jpg20161122_205428342_iOS.jpg20161122_165503785_iOS.jpg20161122_165454885_iOS.jpg20161122_165448833_iOS.jpg20161122_165442922_iOS.jpg20161121_235955558_iOS.jpg20161121_235951158_iOS.jpg20161121_152558954_iOS.jpg
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 11-24-2016 at 08:49 AM.

2010 Harley FLHTK / 2016 BMW R1200GSA / 2004 Ninja 250/ 2006 DRZ-400S / 2000 GSX750F (Katana)
    Follow me here

ZoomSplat!

Blog Entries

After a lot of discussion and review, pretty likely it was a deer strike.
    I haven't seen the bike yet, towing yard said it was bad, real bad and was surprised to be speaking to the owner.
    Insurance is planning to screw me but more on that later... it's only money, so I can't get too worked up being that I am alive.

Pictures from Wednesday of my healing... don't know why they show sideways here. Also, don't scroll if you don't want to see.

-Adam

20161123_233301242_iOS.jpg20161123_233257049_iOS.jpg

2010 Harley FLHTK / 2016 BMW R1200GSA / 2004 Ninja 250/ 2006 DRZ-400S / 2000 GSX750F (Katana)
    Follow me here

Site Mechanic
    Ride
    2008 Ultra (ABS)
    Blog Entries

I know what your thankful for this Thanksgiving!!! I admit I am pretty thankful for it too.

Gentle hugs....I hope your pain subsides quickly. Take some time off to heal. Don't be like my husband and do stupid shit while your back is broken...it will just make it cranky longer!

I know we are 6 hours apart but if there is anything we can do just holler. We all have you in our thoughts.

ZoomSplat!

Blog Entries

Thank you Bev! I need someone to go kick Progressive's ass for me... and my agent that lied to me.
    Seems I paid for $3k in accessories because I assumed that the 5k or so I have will be depreciated to 3 or less.
    Turns out, contrary to discussions, that gear is included in that number.
    My suit that was destroyed was almost $2k on it's own + the heated gear, the insulated liner, the $660 helmet, $200 gloves, $100 back protector, etc...

Just money but dammit! It's frustrating.

Aerostich heard my story and in exchange for sharing it and some pics for their website, they are giving me 15% off which they will let me stack on their 15% off sale tomorrow. So that helps.
    An Arai distributer is replacing my helmet for $480 shipped also based on my story.

My friend Phoenix, some of you have met him, went on a campaign reaching out to the manufacturers of all my gear on my behalf. Thanks to him, I am saving a ton on replacing at least

Follow me here

Ride
    CB750K

WOW! glad your ok. Sorry to hear about the the insurance snafu, take them to the comish and see what they can do. Mend well my friend.
    Chuck & Ruthie
    63 & 64 IH Scout 80
    1978 Honda CB750K SOHC-going Geezer Glide...70's style

Glad to hear you're ok. Sorry to hear about accident. Sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for this year.

Weekend Warrior
    Ride
    2009 FXDC

Adam. There are easier and much less painful ways to put venison on your Thanksgiving dinner table. Susan and I are sorry to hear about the accident but very thankful you're going to be ok. Hope you and your family have a nice Thanksgiving.

Site Mechanic
    Ride
    2008 Ultra (ABS)
    Blog Entries

That's great that your getting discounts on replacements. They really saved your bootie!

Ride
    2015 Harley Freewheeler, Wife on a 2014 Tri-Glide (old age sucks!)

Damn Adam, stop scaring us like that. After seeing the helmet pictures I'm really happy you are in such good shape. HEAL my friend, there are still a lot of roads out there to explore. Vesta sends lots of good thoughts and plenty of hugs.

Steve & Vesta Brown
    Two 'F-ing Trikes
    Damn we're old!
    SDC10289s
    His: 2015 Freewheeler
    Hers: 2014 Tri-Glide

ZoomSplat!

Blog Entries

Thank you for the well wishes everyone!
    The wounds are healing fast but the back is being stubborn.
    Right arm is black and left has regained most of my wrist movement!
    Went to see the bike yesterday because insurance said I had 1 day to see it before it moved to their yard where I wouldn't be able to get to it.
    Bike wasn't there yet, still isn't there. Maybe Monday... and I'll get pictures then.

I'm not sure if there is anything I can harvest off the bike or not but I do know they won't let me anyhow... at least not yet.

I'm still trying to find where I signed over my bike to insurance... I think I have an overzealous adjustor. Funny thing is, I made friends with the lot manager where my bike is supposed to go and he says it's not leaving...
    He took me into a building and said that it's where Progressive moves them to... he said I can go in there any time and get pics and stuff.

So far, I've ordered a new Aerostich suit, helmet and heated jacket.

I'm pretty sure I'll replace the BMW with a similar vintage 2007-10 model but who knows. It mostly comes down to how much money I'm working with.
    If I do end up going that route, I think it will make sense to try to buy back the bike so I can get my parts.

Who knows I've got too much time on my hands to sit and think, plan, shop, plan, etc... I'll be off work I think for at least one more week; at least not full time anyhow.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and yes, I had/have a lot to be thankful for. The more I look at my gear, the more I realize that it's pure luck I'm even still here.

Once I get mobile again, I'll come down and visit.

-Adam

Follow me here

Thread Information